FIRST AIRED: March 9, 2017

Nice work! Enjoy the show!

×

You’re busy. We get it.

Stay on top of the news with our Editor’s Picks newsletter.

US Edition
Intl. Edition
Unsubscribe at any time. One click, it’s gone.

Thanks for signing up!

×

Transcript

00:00:01
>> Next to this playground in the Irish town of Tuam, lies the unmarked grave of hundreds of children and babies. The exact number of bodies in the sewers of what was once a home for unmarried mothers is unknown. But a trail of paper evidence suggests there could be close to 800.
00:00:19
The home which closed in 1961 has since been demolished. A housing estate rings where it once stood. Reuters senior correspondent Estelle Sherman, says the burial site is now behind high fencing.>> The excavations are currently halted. The commission of the inquiry has said that they were test excavations and at the moment, there's no work going on there.
00:00:41
So within the fencing, what you see is just an area of open ground where it's been covered and there's a thin layer of gravel there.>> Peter Mulryan believes his little sister may be one of those buried. Like other relatives, he wants the bodies exhumed and identified. Some are asking for a DNA database to be set up.
00:01:03
The dogged efforts of amateur local historian, Catherine Collis exposed the mass grave. She's since been contacted by well over a hundred people with connections to the home.>> They're trying to trace what happened to their birth mothers, people who think they have siblings among the children who died there.
00:01:20
People who think their siblings were there and were perhaps fostered or adopted and they're trying to trace them. A whole different range of scenarios. And she says that above all, what people want is respect and an opportunity to find peace.>> The Commission of Inquiry is investigating 17 other mother and baby homes across Ireland.
00:01:41
With the Archbishop of Dublin saying previously that if something happened in Tuam, it's probably happened in other homes, too.