>> This apartment building in New York City's Bronx borough, like many throughout the city, has a rat problem. With the city's Health Department this week issuing residents at this address with a warning. Three people inside of a one block radius falling sick, one fatally, from a rare bacterial infection linked to rats.
The leptospirosis bacteria can spread to humans through contact with rat urine and feces. The three victims suffered kidney and liver failure, one dying as a result of the infection. The Health Department says there are typically between one and three cases of leptospirosis in New York City every year.
Most result in fever, headache and chills. But older patients or those with compromised immune systems can suffer more serious symptoms.