>> Authorities say the fire that killed 12 people in a New York City apartment building Thursday night was started by a three year old boy playing with a burner on the kitchen stove.>> People were screaming, fire, help, fire, help. We knew it was trouble.>> Fire Department commissioner Daniel Nigro says the boy's mother quickly fled the apartment with both her young children, but left the door open.
>> The stairway acted like a chimney. It took the fire so quickly upstairs that people had very little time to react. They couldn't get back down the stairs. Those that tried, a few of them perished.>> That's my apartment.>> One resident who gave only his first name, says he was able to get his family out safely after his daughter alerted him.
>> I went to the kitchen and found out whether the smoke is coming from our room and then it wasn't. So I tried to open the front door, and then after I opened it, there was a cloud of smoke.>> Frankie Franco, who lives nearby, says neighbors are devastated.
>> Well the kids are gonna be in shock cuz some of the kids that lived in that building was our kid's friends.>> Seven adults and five children were killed. Four others are in critical condition. The building, which is in a Belmont section of the Bronx, contains 26 apartments and according to city records has at least six open building code violations.