FIRST AIRED: March 11, 2019

Nice work! Enjoy the show!


You’re busy. We get it.

Stay on top of the news with our Editor’s Picks newsletter.

US Edition
Intl. Edition
Unsubscribe at any time. One click, it’s gone.

Thanks for signing up!



the cleanup at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant has been massive it's been eight years since it suffered three meltdowns however a new crisis threatens to undermine the effort one million tons of contaminated water must now be stored within the wrecked plant possibly for years it's enough to fill four hundred Olympic swimming pools Tokyo electric power or TEPCO pours water over melted fuel to cool it down then they treat it last year the system to clean that water failed now they need two years to treat some of it again and I think about what this worker says a tank gets full almost every week space to store the water is running out if another quake happens experts say tanks could crack unleashing tainted water and washing highly radioactive debris into the ocean Reuters kyoshi Takenaka reports from the plant where progress has been slow even if it's safe now outside the reactor just a few years ago , without we are in full face mask , increasing the amount of water they say the only feasible way to handle the program he's not using the water to Laura it's radiation levels the local legal babies and reducing it into the ocean Japan's nuclear watchdog says reprocessed water is harmless but like many locals a fishing boat captain Koichi Matsumoto strongly opposes any release date releasing water from the plant could tarnish our reputation so we've fisherman where all worried about however an ocean release is the most likely of five options suggested by a government task force storing the water for decades is another but again that raises the risk of leaks the Japanese government and TEPCO are waiting for a panel of experts to make recommendations on what to do with the water it's just one of many complicated tasks ahead not counting the new delays dismantling Fukushima was set to take up to four decades and it's estimated to cost two hundred billion dollars a fifth of Japan's yearly budget