FIRST AIRED: May 23, 2019

Nice work! Enjoy the show!

×

You’re busy. We get it.

Stay on top of the news with our Editor’s Picks newsletter.

US Edition
Intl. Edition
Unsubscribe at any time. One click, it’s gone.

Thanks for signing up!

We've got more news

Get our editor’s daily email summary of what’s going on in the world.

US Edition
Intl. Edition
Replay Program
0:00
0:00
More Info

COMING UP:Share Opener Variant 2

×

Transcript

00:00:00
the US department of defense is weighing a request to send about five thousand additional troops to the Middle East amid increasing tensions with the run to US officials told Reuters that the request for reinforcements did not come from the trump administration but from US Central Command the branch of the military overseeing operations in the region the sources said it was not clear whether the Pentagon would approve the request Tehran and Washington have been ramping up the rhetoric against one another following US president Donald trump's decision to try and cut Iran's oil exports to zero , carrier strike group to the Middle East earlier this month in response what Washington said were possible preparations for an attack by a run acting US defense secretary Patrick Shanahan said this week that while threats from Iran in the Middle East remain high deterrence measures taken by the Pentagon had quote put on hold the potential for attacks on Americans we do not want the situation to escalate , this is about deterrence not about war , we're not about going to war this is about continue to protect our interests in the Middle East and conduct innovations that there we are there to perform earlier this month president Donald Trump denied a report the White House was considering sending one hundred and twenty thousand troops to the region I think it's fake news okay now what I do that absolutely but we have not glad for that hopefully we're not gonna have to plan for that and if we did that would send a hell of a lot more troops than that the Pentagon regularly receives ends declines requests for additional resources from U. S. combat commands throughout the world one of the officials told Reuters the requested troops would be defensive in nature it is unclear if any specific request will ultimately be presented to the White House the Pentagon declined to comment