Made in China, 2025. It's a catchy slogan, and a Beijing pledge to dominate the tech industry by that year. But China might be scrapping that plan altogether, possibly to please the initiative's main critic, Washington. That's according to the Wall Street Journal, which reports that a new policy could be rolled out early next year, one that'll be more open to foreign countries.
Beijing has, in recent days, quietly dropped references to the 2025 initiative. It was heavily promoted in its guidance to local governments in 2016, but in its latest guidance on Wednesday there was no mention of it. This comes as the US and China sit down for talks to reduce trade tensions.
Earlier this month US President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xin Jinping agreed to a cease fire delaying a planned increase in tariffs by 90 days. The two sides are expected to negotiate over US demands, like stronger Chinese protections for US intellectual prophecy, an end to forced technology transfers and greater market access to China for US companies.
Washington's been alarmed by Beijing’s push to close their tech gap. And the main aim of the 2025 plan was to rival the US dominance in sectors like semiconductors, robotics, aerospace and artificial intelligence. US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross says it's clear China's been de-emphasizing the 2025 plan in response to objections from the US and other countries.
But he also says, quote, that doesn't mean they've dropped it.