>> Four Americans are among the dead after Wednesday's suicide bomb attack in the Syrian city of Manbij claimed by Islamic State. US Central Command said a bomber with a suicide vest targeted a restaurant where US troops where meeting an allied militia. The blast killed two US soldiers and two American civilians working for the military.
The attack appears to be the deadliest on US forces in Syria since they deployed there in 2015. A Syrian monitor group said 19 people had been killed in all.>> We promise under this presidents leadership.>> It came just hours before Vice President Mike Pence speaking in Washington repeated President Donald Trump's message that ISIS had been defeated.
>> We're now actually able to begin to hand off the fight against ISIS in Syria to our coalition partners. The caliphate has crumbled.>> In late December, Trump made a surprise announcement that he would withdraw all 2,000 US troops from Syria.>> And we have won against ISIS.
The announcement rattles allies in the region and topped US officials including Secretary of Defense, Jim Mattis, who resigned in protest. On Capitol Hill Wednesday, Senator Lindsay Graham said he hoped the attack would lead Trump to reconsider.>> My concern about the statements made by President Trump that you had set in motion enthusiasm by the enemy we're fighting.
So I would hope the President would look long and hard of where he's headed in Syria. I know people are frustrated, but we're never gonna be safe here. Unless we're willing to help people over there who will stand up against this radical ideology.>> On Friday, the Pentagon announced that it had begun withdrawing the equipment of those US troops deployed in Syria.