>> A Reuters source said Sunday the Pentagon was asked to draw plans for striking Iran last fall, that confirms our report initially runned by the Wall Street Journal, which said the White House National Security Team, led by John Bolton, had asked for strike options. That decision came after a group of militants aligned with Tehran fired off three mortars into an area of Iraq's capital, home to the US Embassy, last September.
The journal said the request sparked alarm among Pentagon and State Department officials but it wasn't clear if president Donald Trump knew of the request or whether Syria's plans for a US strike against Iran ever took shape. The State Department hasn't commented on the report. The Pentagon and National Security Council said they provide the president with options for a variety of threats.
Tensions have been escalating between the US and Iran after Trump pulled out of the Iran nuclear deal last year and reimposed sanctions in a bid to rein in its missile program and its influence in the region. The decision to abandon the Iran deal came one month after Bolton took over as National Security advisor in April.
Bolton is known for his relentless focus on trying to isolate Tehran and cripple its economy by reimposing tight sanctions.