>> A US federal judge, Monday, ruled the White House can't hold migrant children in long term detention. That deals a legal blow to President Donald Trump's executive order to end immigrant families being separated under a policy he implemented in the first place. Under Trump's zero tolerance policy, more than 2,000 children were forcibly separated from their families at the US-Mexico border to crossing over illegally.
The policy sparked public outcry and eventually an order from Trump to end separations. Instead, the Justice Department had been seeking to detain the children with their parents. To do that, it asked the US District Court in Los Angeles to change a decade's old settlement. That forces officials to avoid holding immigrant children from more than 20 days.
Judge Dolly Gee said there was no basis for the change and brush off the DOJ's arguments as holy without merit. She also called it, quote, a cynical attempt to shift responsibility for immigration to the court rather than congress of the White House. In another setback, the government was struggling, Monday, to reunite immigrant families a day before a critical deadline.
A Justice Department lawyer said, Monday, only half of 102 children under age 5 will be back with their parents by a court order at cut off time on Tuesday morning. And that's just a fraction of more then 2,000 children still under government care after they were separated at the border.
Immigration advocates say that the children should never have been separated from their parents in the first place. While protest continued to put pressure on officials outside Immigration and Customs Enforcement offices nationwide.