>> After standing up the US last week, North Korea has come back to the diplomatic table. The two sides met over the weekend with a follow up on monday on an agreement reached at President's Donald Trump's meeting with Kim Jong-un. Bringing home the remains of soldiers who perished in the Korean war, more than 7,000 personnel remain unaccounted for.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a Sunday statement that talks ended in firm commitments to restart searches across one-time battlefields. Pompeo has said the talks came out of his visit to Pyongyang earlier this month. When he highlighted the issue as a key point of progress for both sides.
At the time though, the North accused his delegation of making gangster-like demands over denuclearization. At the Singapore summit, Kim Jong-un made a broad commitment to work towards dismantling his nuclear program with few details as to how. Things may now be moving forward though, Pompeo said after his most recent visit he's made progress on a timeline for disposing of Pyongyang's nuclear weapons.
As for the fallen troops, the regime has said it's holding the remains of some 200 soldiers. But a US military official told Reuters last month it's unclear what North Korea may hand over. South Korean media say American forces have moved around 100 wooden coffins to the demilitarized zone.
That separates the Koreas in anticipation of the diplomatic breakthrough.