It's been over a decade since the US was allowed to scour North Korea for the remains of its fallen soldiers. Now the agency in charge of that work is gearing up to go back.>> So it will still will take us a number of years, assuming full access.
>> US President Donald Trump has said Pyongyang has already sent back the remains of 200 troops after a summit with Kim Jong-un in Singapore last month, where the North Korean leader agreed to begin that process. However, Kelly McKeague, who leads this search agency says actually, no new remains have come home since the talks.
>> We've yet to see any specifics from that commitment. We're hopeful that as our leaders continue to negotiate with the North Koreans.>> But things might get a kick start on Thursday. North Korean and UN officials are set to meet at the DMZ that divides the Koreas to talk about MIA soldiers, and the US agency will be there too.
The US Defense POW/MIA accounting agency, or DPAA, is hoping they succeed. There's a good chance many remains in the North are recoverable. The country's still fairly undeveloped, which means fewer roads and buildings to disturb the battlefields. They may even find more than what they've uncovered in Vietnam, where bones disintegrated more quickly in the heat.
Still, they're up against the clock. North Korea's cold winters only give them a narrow window to search before the ground is too hard to dig. And when they've been led into the North before, there's also been the matter of cooperating with the Korean People's Army.>> They were joint operations, and oftentimes that was the most difficult thing in working with the North Koreans, was that trust to be able to say, are we truly there to recover remains?
>> Some 7,700 Americans are still unaccounted for on the Korean peninsula. Around two-thirds are believed somewhere north of the DMZ.