FIRST AIRED: October 27, 2017

Nice work! Enjoy the show!

×

You’re busy. We get it.

Stay on top of the news with our Editor’s Picks newsletter.

US Edition
Intl. Edition
Unsubscribe at any time. One click, it’s gone.

Thanks for signing up!

We've got more news

Get our editor’s daily email summary of what’s going on in the world.

US Edition
Intl. Edition
Replay Program
0:00
0:00
More Info

COMING UP:Share Opener Variant 3

×

Transcript

00:00:02
>> Puppies will get into almost anything, but when three-month-old Zoe got into a cigarette box on a recent morning walk it almost cost her her life.>> The cigarette box was right there, she had it in her mouth for maybe 30 seconds.>> But hidden inside the box was an opioid, and owner Peter Tebow says that 30 seconds was all it took for Zoe to react.
00:00:23
>> She was like a normal dog like this, and then within seconds just keeled over, fell right on her side.>> Tebow wasted no time in rushing Zoe to the nearby Bulger Veterinary Hospital, where Krista Vernaleken picked up on the signs.>> Just the combination of it being a young, otherwise healthy dog who had then very suddenly collapsed right after eating something on the street, those were kind of the keys.
00:00:48
>> She asked me to leave the room and literally within five minutes she asked me to come back in. The dog was upright, alert, responsive, it was unbelievable.>> Vernaleken had given Zoe a dose of Naloxone, a form of the life saving drug Narcan used to reverse opioid overdoses.
00:01:06
>> It could have been one of the kids in the neighborhood and that would have been devastating, there's little kids out here all the time.>> Tebow says it's a scary reminder of the country's ongoing opioid epidemic that he says has hit closer to home than he could ever have imagined.