>> The driver of the van that plowed into crowds in Barcelona may still be on the run, Spanish police say. Denying earlier media reports that he had been shot dead in a Catalan seaside resort. 13 people were killed when the van sped along Las Ramblas, a famous boulevard popular with tourists, on Thursday.
The latest in a string of attacks across Europe using vehicles as weapons, in which nearly 130 people have died in France, Germany, Britain, Sweden and Spain over the past 13 months. Hours after the carnage on La Ramblas, police shot dead five people in the Catalan Resort of Cambrils, after they drove a car at pedestrians and police officers.
One woman was killed in that attack, the assailants armed with axes and knifes and wearing fake explosive belts police said. But Spain's Cataliona police chief Joseph Luis Trapero said he could not confirm the driver on Las Ramblas was one of those killed. He said it is still a possibility, but is losing weight.
Tropero had earlier said the investigation was focused on a house in Alcana, south west of Barcelona, that property was raised in an explosion shortly before midnight on Wednesday. Police believe the house was being used to plan a large scale attack in Barcelona, possibly using a large number of butane gas canisters stored there.
The accidental explosion forcing the conspirators to scale down their plans and launch more rudimentary attacks, Tropero said. Four people have been arrested in connection with the attacks, three have been identified and are still at large.>> La Rambla, the scene of mourning on Friday night, a vigil to honor the dead.
That as victims continue to recover, of a 126 people injured in Barcelona and Cambrils, 65 are still in hospital, 17 in a critical condition.