>> A senior White House aide on Wednesday said he would resign, following allegations of domestic abuse from two ex-wives. White House staff secretary, Rob Porter, seen here on the left, denied the accusations in a statement. These outrageous allegations are simply false. I have been transparent and truthful about these vile claims, but I will not further engage publicly with a coordinated smear campaign.
The White House was quick to defend his reputation.>> I can tell you that Rob has been an effective in his role as Staff Secretary and the President, Chief of Staff have had full confidence and trust in his abilities and his performance.>> Porter oversees much of the paperwork that goes to President Donald Trump for his signature.
He often appears in the background, somewhat out of focus, in photos from the Oval Office. Here he is, maybe taking a selfie with economic advisor, Gary Cohn. Earlier this week, thedailymail.com published allegations from one of Porter's ex-wives, claiming he choked and punched her. The article included images of a restraining order she took out following the abuse.
A second ex-wife told the news site Porter was both physically and verbally abusive. TheIntercept.com reported that the FBI learned of the allegations from both former spouses during background interviews for Porter's security clearance.>> He is going to be leaving the White House. It won't be immediate. But he is resigning from the White House, but is gonna stay on to ensure that there's a smooth transition moving forward.
>> The White House added that Porter was not pressured by the administration to resign.