>> The process was still ongoing when Rob Porter resigned.>> The White House on the defensive, again, on Tuesday after FBI director Christopher Ray in testimony contradicted the White House version of events surrounding the background check for Rob Porter. A former top aide to President Trump who resigned last week after accusations of domestic abuse were made against him by his two ex-wives.
>> The FBI submitted a partial report on the investigation in question in March. And then, a completed background investigation in late July that soon thereafter we received request for followup inquiry. And we did the followup, and provided that information in November, and then, we administratively closed the file in January.
But that's not what the White House said last week.>> His background investigation was ongoing.>> Yet the White House had allowed Porter to continue as the president's staff secretary into February when the public was made aware from media reports of the alleged abuse. On Tuesday, White House Press Secretary, Sarah Sanders tried to thread the needle saying that while the FBI had concluded its background check, the White House had not yet finished the review of Porter's security clearance.
>> As Director Ray said, information was still coming to the White House Personnel Security Office in February. The White House Personnel Security Office, which is staffed by career officials, may have received information. But they had not completed their process, and made a recommendation to the White House for adjudication.
>> But that still doesn't answer who knew what when, including White House Chief of Staff, John Kelley. He has so far taken the brunt of the blame for the handling of Porter's case. A source familiar with the matter telling Reuters days ago Kelley had offered to resign.>> Though on Tuesday he seemed to have changed his tune, telling the Wall Street Journal the administration's handling of the Porter issue was quote, all done right.